RAW KEFIR CHEESE CAKE
Serves 8-10. Requires an 8 inch diameter by 2 1/2 inches deep pyrex dish, or a 9 inch springform. Makes an 8 inch by 1 1/4 inch thick cheese cake. If you wish to make a cheesecake that is 2 inches thick then just double the quantity of filling. The base is quite thin.
Base (can use graham cracker crust as base)
3/4 cup almonds.
1/2 cup pecans
3/4 cup of Californian dates.
Kefir and Kefir Cream
1/4 cup kefir grains
3 cups of raw milk, from organic pasture fed cows.
1/2 cup kefir.
1 1/2 cup raw, double weight cream.
3/4 cups of raw milk, from organic pasture fed cows.
1 tablespoon of vegetable gelatin.
2 cups kefir cream (see above).
1/4 cup raw honey.
2 egg yolks.
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence.
2 teaspoons lime/lemon juice.
2 egg whites.
Pinch of Celtic sea salt
ADVANCE PREPARATION: 2 days ahead.
To prepare the almonds in advance, soak them in water for 12 hours, rinse then leave to sprout for 12 more hours in a jar turned on its side. Rinse once more, then dry the almonds in a oven at low heat or a dehydrator at 65C, turning the almonds occasionally until they are dry and crisp.
Mix 1/4 cup of real kefir grains with 3 cups of raw full cream jersey cows milk. Culture at room temperature for 12-24 hours then refrigerate. Remove the kefir grains from the kefir with a fork before use.
Mix 1/2 cup of kefir with 1 1/2 cups of raw double weight cream and leave to culture for 12-24 hours. Refrigerate the kefir cream until ready for use. If you are new to culturing kefir you may wish to visit http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/kefir/riln14.php to get more detailed instructions.
PUTTING THE RAW CHEESE CAKE TOGETHER
- Grind the nuts as finely as possible in a grain mill, blender or food processor. Chop the dates then process in a food processor with the nut flour. Press the nut and date mixture into a buttered dish with your fingers and the bottom of a glass to form a thin crust.
- Put milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle with the gelatin and warm slightly stirring with a flat wooden spoon until the gelatin is dissolved. It may help to beat slightly with a wire whisk. Sit the saucepan in a bowl of cool water to cool the milk gelatin mixture to body temperature. (This is the milk-gelatin mixture.)
- In a food processor, combine the kefir cream (2c), raw honey (1/4c), egg yolks (2), vanilla (1/4t) and lime/lemon juice (2t), and process at low to medium speed for 20-30 seconds, or until smooth, being sure that all the honey has been mixed in and has not stuck to the bottom. To prevent the honey from sticking to the bottom of the processor make sure you spread the kefir over the bottom first. Note that if you over process at this stage you risk the cream turning to butter. (This is the egg custard.)
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form peaks, and put aside. At this point you will need to work quickly.
- Add the cooled milk-gelatin mixture to the egg custard in the food processor and mix at slow to medium speed for 20- 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl then gently fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Pour the mixture onto the crust and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
The elderly and those with compromised immune systems should avoid consuming raw eggs
It is best not to over consume raw egg white as they contain a trypsin inhibitor which interferes with protein absorption and avidin which may interfere with the absorption of biotin.
The kefir may provide some protection against the risk of pathogens in the eggs.
This recipes uses a naturally processed, standard strength vanilla essence.
New York Style Kefir Cheesecake
2 cups of Kefir Cream Cheese
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 cup all-purpose flour (I used old fashioned whole wheat)
graham cracker crust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan. Coat bottom with graham cracker crust.
In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.